Saturday, September 4, 2010

Deconstructiing Old Ads: Thoughts on Abercrombie & Fitch



Thoughts on Abercrombie & Fitch

Recently I read Todd Larson's very interesting article in The Reel News on the history of Abercrombie & Fitch. I not only learned a lot, but it brought back great memories of visiting that 12 floor store in New York City in 1958 at the age of 14. I particularly remember row upon row of bamboo fly rods as well as the floor that was dedicated to African big game hunting. When I moved to Michigan in 1970, I learned that they had a store in a very upscale mall north of Detroit. I went there and purchased a beautiful 20 gauge side by side that was sold under their store brand and made for them by Foli in Italy. I often get compliments on the beauty of this little gun and am always asked who made it. If there are young folks in the group they are somewhat stunned and mystified when I say it is an Abercrombie & Fitch!

The ad below, from the 1920 American Angler, shows that A&F was always a "full service" sporting shop, including a full line of motor camping gear!



-- Bill Sonnett

No comments: