Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Jack Bright ca. 1951

I had occasion recently to write someone about an anecdote that the late Jack Bright once told me, and it reminded me that it has been over a year since he passed away. Time does, indeed, stop for no man. It also reminded me that his friend Terry McBurney sent me a great clip from the January 1951 Outdoor Life showing our own Jack Bright using a home-made float tube, long before these things became fashionable.


First thing I was struck by was how young Jack looked! He was 29 years old at the time the photo was taken, and would have (almost) sixty more years of fishing in him. He knew many famous anglers including the great Paul and Martha Marie Young, fished the numerous rivers around Detroit, and collected a lot of very rare reels. In other words, Jack lived a long and full life.

I wish the same good fortune on everyone during this holiday season.

-- Dr. Todd

No comments: