Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Voices from the Past: James Alfred Taylor


Usually I like to profile great outdoor writers in the Voices from the Past section, but sometimes its nice to resurrect a piece from a writer of which nothing is known. Such is the case with the following poet, James Alfred Taylor, of West Virginia, who penned this nifty piece for The Big Piney (Wyoming) Examiner in September 1925.

My Way of Fishing

by James Alfred Taylor


I've cut a papaw fishing pole,
I've dug a can of bait;

I have hook and line and the day is fine
So I won't be home till late.

They may not bite, but 'twill be all right,
I might not pull if they did

For I may lie back on the grassy bank,
My face from the sun rays hid

Some anglers may scorn this way of mine,
But they can do as they wish;

I'd rather lie about the bank
than lie about the fish.


-- Dr. Todd

No comments: