Wednesday, October 22, 2014

An Epistle on Why There is No Advertising on this Blog


Ah, the internet. As someone who’s been producing content used on the internet since … well, pretty much the beginning of the internet. But I never really understood the incredible levels of desperation many advertisers have to find a targeted market until I began the Fishing for History Blog around seven years ago, about the same time I took over the Classic Fly Rod Forum (historically one of the largest fly fishing web sites on the internet).

One of the things I decided early on was that I would not take advertising on either one, despite the fact that it is a nearly daily occurrence to be contacted from companies seeking to advertise their wares on both. I never mind the tackle industry folk; after all, these are fishing sites. But they make up about 5% of the advertisers who want to promote their products on my sites. It’s rather remarkable the array of companies willing to shill products to you while your going through the Friday Funhouse or reading the latest from Elissa Ruddick. Everything from male enhancement to weight loss to condo buying, I’ve seen them all come through with their pitches.

And I’ve turned them all down. Why? Do I feel like I’m too good for it, that I am morally superior to them? Not really. I just hate advertising, especially where it’s not needed or wanted. Besides, if you had to watch an ad every time you tried to read something here, I would guess you’d come by less and less. So I keep it ad free. Would I ever take on an advertiser? Who knows? All I know is that I’m happy with the way things are now.

John Oliver is a brilliant British comedian with a funny Sunday night TV show. He recently took on the subject of internet advertising, and in so doing, outlined the myriad ways in which I hate on-line advertising. Take a moment and watch it, and ask yourself, is this what you want to see here? On Joe’s Board? On the Fly Rod Forum?



It sums up my feelings exactly.

— Dr. Todd

1 comment:

Bill Sonnett said...

very funny--despite the fact that I like raisins in cookies