Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The Fishing Advertisement: 1935 Lincoln


You know what makes me want to fish? This ad right here. It's a 1935 Lincoln advertisement that was widely used in the spring of that year. And it's AWESOME. Not only does it make me want to fish, it makes me want to fish in a hand tailored three-piece suit, complete with a pocket watch. You just know that's a pair of Thomas or Payne rods in his hands.

I love the little touches, too. Check out the wicker creel and wooden landing net. The car is a seven passenger touring automobile, made with "over five thousand operations held within 1/1000th of an inch." Just an amazing ad for an amazing car.

Sometimes when you hear the words, "they don't make them like that any more," it comes out of the mouth of some hipster doofus who wouldn't know quality if it ran over his fixed-gear bike. But sometimes, the saying means something, so when I declare, "they don't make them like THAT any more," I mean it.



-- Dr. Todd

No comments: