Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Passing of Stan Lievense (1918-2011)

The Passing of Stan Lievense (1918-2011)



Gary Miller brought a news item to my attention that I feel bad I missed (and so did almost everyone else, except Dave Richey). Noted fishing writer, lure designer, and Fisheries Biologist Stan Lievense passed away on June 19, 2011.

I'm not sure why I missed this but I am very happy Gary emailed me to let me know I missed the boat big time on this one.

Lievense was a lifelong proponent of the sport. Born in 1918, after a stint in the U.S. Navy in World War II, he joined the Michigan Department of Natural Resources in 1945 in Cadillac, Mich. It was here he built a reputation as a stand-up guy and a world class storyteller.

He was a legendary angler and acclaimed as the finest fisherman in the Michigan DNR, from which he retired in 1982. While most people relax during their later years, Lievense jumped into an entirely new career as a lure designer, something he'd done his entire life. Two of his inventions--the Stanley Streamer and the Jig-A-Doo--became quite popular fish catchers.

He was a particular proponent of color spectrum and water temperature fishing, and his writings served as the inspiration for the Heath Co. Thermospotter.

A hugely popular individual, Lievense held monthly luncheons for like-minded folks up until his passing at the age of 92.

He was inducted into the Freshwater Fishing Hall-of-Fame for his tremendous accomplishments to the world of angling. Stan Lievense was one of the pioneering post-war fisheries biologists and his loss leaves the world of man (and fish) a lesser place.

-- Dr. Todd

No comments: