Tuesday, July 29, 2008

UPDATE: Elmer "Doll" Thomspon

Elmer "Doll" Thompson Update

A quick update on Elmer "Doll" Thompson, inventor of the Doll Fly, Top Secret, and other popular fishing lures, who passed away two weeks ago. I was contacted by one of his grandsons, John Petrone, who sent along a photo of Doll and a request. Here it the text of his email:


Vintage photograph of Elmer "Doll" Thompson, courtesy John Petrone

I hope this email finds you well. My name is John Petrone and I am Doll Thompson's grandson. I recently found your blog entry on Google. It is very kind and informative. It makes me very proud to learn more about my grandfather.

I would also like to ask a favor. My family and I have been trying to find some of Doll's flies and lures. As my grandfather got older, he either sold or gave away almost all his remaining fishing products. I would be thankful if you could add a line or two on the entry to see if anybody has any of the old flies/lures laying around that they could spare. I would be more than happy to pay for shipping. Thank you so much for your consideration.

John Petrone


Thanks to John we can now put a photo to the name Doll Thompson. John's email is jspetrone AT gmail DOT com. Someone out there has to have a doll fly or two lying around they don't need anymore.

-- Dr. Todd

1 comment:

Bobtracker said...

I am looking for Doll Ya-Hoo black jigs. Fished them in the 70's,best bluegill jig ever. They had plastic body with blsck and silver hackle Would love to find more of these Bob Tower Columbus Indiana