Friday, December 24, 2010

Your 2nd Annual Christmas Eve Song List

Your 2nd Annual Christmas Eve Song List

Here's our 2nd annual list of Christmas Songs That Don't Suck, Rankin-Bass Edition!

Click here for the classic Christmas Songs That Don't Suck (2009 Edition).

As a child of the 1970s, I grew up without the 800+ channels of satellite TV or the internet. Cartoons were a rarity, and only played on special occasions, like Christmas. So many of these great TV specials were produced by the great Rankin-Bass company, so this year I thought I would give you some of my favorite Cartoon Christmas Songs.

I'll Have A Blue Christmas Without You (1974)

I always liked The Year Without A Santa Claus, but most people seem to enjoy the Heat Miser and Snow Miser songs more. I always liked this one best.



We Are Santa's Elves (1964)

From the classic Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer comes this wonderfully cheerful song, from Santa's elf choir.



Christmas Time is Here (1965)

What list would be complete without A Charlie Brown Christmas? A melancholy holiday tune, but memorable in every way. It captures childhood Christmas as well as anything.



Christmas Chimes Are Calling Santa (1974)

The animated special 'Twas the Night Before Christmas was also a big favorite of mine, largely because of the song Christmas Chimes Are Calling Santa. Poor quality video below (audio is fine, though); I suggest clicking on this link to see the video.



The 12 Days of Christmas (1979)

While not a cartoon, I included this because, well, because I can. From the outstanding Muppets & John Denver Christmas Special, comes this great rendition of the 12 Days of Christmas.



It Feels Like Christmas (1992)

From one of the great underrated Christmas movies, The Muppet Christmas Carol, comes this song It Feels Like Christmas.



CBS Christmas Greeting (1966)

This is a classic CBS Christmas message in a classic animated style by R.O. Blechman.



Santa Claus is Coming to Town (1970)

The incomparable Fred Astair narrated this classic, originally made famous by Gene Autry, the singin' cowboy.



The Christmas Song (1961)

This is a repeat from last year, but it fits the bill so I will post it again. A true classic from The Chipmunks.



Put the Lights on the Tree (2006)

And I would be remiss not to give what I think is a modern classic, Sufjan Stevens' Put the Lights on the Tree.



Have a wonderful Christmas Eve!

-- Dr. Todd

No comments: